And when it’s hot, my thoughts turn to — ICE CREAM!
We’ve got some great ice cream shops in the Twin Cities. From soft serve to hard-pack, from chocolate and vanilla to more esoteric flavors (a little cayenne pepper in your ice cream, perhaps?), there’s something for every taste. Do you have a favorite?
Here are a few of the places we like to hit on a hot summer day:
- Conny’s Creamy Cone, located at 1197 N. Dale in St. Paul: this is the real deal–soft serve cones and sundaes, and a favorite of Tommy Mischke, which is the best endorsement I can imagine for any St. Paul spot
- Grand Ole Creamery, located at 750 Grand in St. Paul and 4737 Cedar Ave. S. in Minneapolis: scoops of classic ice cream goodness in fresh waffle cones
- Sebastian Joes, located at 4321 Upton and 1007 Franklin in Minneapolis: the Pavorati is our family fave
- Izzy’s, located at 2034 Marshall in St. Paul: can’t decide between all the flavors? Pick a new one for your “izzy”, an extra mini scoop that’s perched on top of your cone!
- Sonny’s Ice Cream, located at 3403 Lyndale Ave S. in Minneapolis: sweet corn or chocolate cabernet, anyone?
- Franklin Freeze, located at 2328 E. Franklin in Minneapolis: lots of soft serve flavors in a great little shack (the German chocolate is my favorite for a break from a Greenway bike ride)
- Dairy Queen: the big kahuna of ice cream stands is based in Edina, and has locations all over the Twin Cities; my local spot is at East Lake and 44th Avenue, and they turn out a great Peanut Buster Parfait every time
I’m sure I’ve overlooked more than couple of great ice cream spots; do you have a favorite place to get a creamy cone?